Skip to main content

Domestic Relations

In the Domestic Relations division, case types include divorces, dissolutions, legal separations, annulments, and domestic violence actions (civil protection orders). If an attorney represents the party, the attorney is required to e-file the documents. However, if the parties choose to file independent of an attorney, the pro se filer(s) may present their documents in paper format. No documents filed in the Domestic Relations division are viewable through the Clerk’s Case Information Online (CIO). However, copies of most domestic documents can be obtained through the Records Division.

 Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Domestic Relations Branch


What is the procedure for filing a divorce or dissolution?

In Franklin County a divorce, dissolution, or annulment may include children or two adult parties. For more about this process, please view our Opens in new windowprocedural information.

How do I obtain a certified copy of my divorce decree?

If the divorce was granted in Franklin County, you can write a letter to Domestic Relations Division requesting a copy of the divorce decree. Make certain to include the parties' first and last names during the marriage, the year the case was filed, and the case number if available, along with your return name and address and a $1.00 fee. If you would like any other copies besides your decree, please specify in your request. Franklin County Clerk of Courts
373 S High St., 4th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215
To confirm total copying and certification costs, or if you have further questions not addressed in this process, call the Domestic Relations Division Monday - Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 614.525.4410. Or, you can come in person to the Domestic Relations division of the Clerk's office, address listed above. There is a fee of 10 cents per page for copies, and a $1.00 fee for copy certification.

How do I file a Protection Order for my situation?

There are several types of Protection Orders in Franklin County. To determine which one applies to your situation, please read the Protection Order Instructions and review the necessary steps to file.

What is a Notice of Final Appealable Order?

A Notice of Final Appealable Order is a statutory notice sent to parties and attorneys on a case informing them that a Court decision filed with the Clerk of Courts is an appealable decision. This notice informs parties that they have 30 days to file an appeal with the External linkCourt of Appeals, or 14 days to file an Objection to the Magistrates Decision if they do not agree with the decision of the Court. If parties agree with the decision, they may disregard the notice.

How do I file for Change of Custody?

If you do not have legal representation, you will need to draft a Motion For Reallocation of Parental Rights and Responsibilities. You will also need a Opens in new windowCustody Affidavit and a Health Insurance Affidavit; you can download these affidavits from the Forms and Fees section.

If the parents were divorced in another county, or were never married, you will need to file these forms in the Clerk's Juvenile Section. Contact the Juvenile Section at 614.525.4411.

You may contact Legal Aid at 614.224.8374 to see if you qualify for free legal assistance.

If I am a party on the case how do I file a change of address or relocation notice?

Two options to update an address are: Write a letter to the Clerk of Court; or use the Opens in new windowChange of Address form located in the Forms and Fees section.
Include your name, the Domestic case name and case number, and your new address. Letters or Change of Address Forms should be mailed to: Franklin County Clerk of Courts
373 S High St., 4th Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215

Forms and Fees

All forms are in PDF format and require either Adobe Acrobat Reader or Adobe Reader to view. You can download the latest version of this software free from Adobe's website.

Domestic Forms

Available on the Franklin County Common Pleas Court website