Overview of Unclaimed Affidavit Motor Vehicles
Repair garages, places of storage and towing companies may obtain a certificate of title to an abandoned vehicle provided that the vehicle is valued at less than $3500 and the facility provides the proper evidence and documentation that is required.
There are very specific instructions to obtain a title by an Unclaimed Affidavit. Please refer to the Opens in new windowUnclaimed Motor Vehicle Procedure for full details of the unclaimed process.
Below is a brief summary of the documents required to obtain an Unclaimed certificate of title:
- The Unclaimed Motor Vehicle Affidavit
- A title application completed in the name of the facility.
- An applicant’s odometer affidavit (the second box “operation of law” is the one that applies).
- A copy of the current value of the vehicle recognized by the motor vehicle industry.
- BMV form 1149 and/or BMV 2433.
- Documentation to support estimated cost of repairs and agreed upon repairs.
- Documentation to support storage fees.
- Returned mail receipts verifying that the repair garage/storage/towing facility notified the owner and any lien holder.
Opens in new windowUnclaimed Motor Vehicle Procedure (PDF)